Traveling with an infant- Survival Guide
Our first flight with Asher was when he was 3 and half months old and like most new parents we were terrified! It was short 2 hour flight to Florida but I have seen those poor parents on flights with a screaming baby and looking mortified so I really did not want to be one of them (although I know I will be at some point). Here are a few things tips/tricks I have picked up from some of my amazing mommy friends:
- You 1000% want to put the baby in a carrier during the flight it puts them to sleep immediately and my son stayed asleep in it the whole time. We use the MiaMily because it has a little seat they sit on so they are not hanging on you (great for anyone with a bad back).
- Make sure to bring EXTRA milk/formula and feed the baby during take off and landing. You can bring as much as you want TSA puts it in a little sensor box to confirm its milk.
- You actually do not need any proof of ID for an infant so don’t stress it if you realize day of the flight you don’t have anything! You can use Immunization records and most doctor can email that over quickly if you really want to be on the safe side (but we didn’t have anything because we totally forgot).
- If you can try to book flight times that are roughly around your babies feeding/sleeping schedule, obviously you cannot always do this but if your schedule is flexible think about that when choosing flight times, it will make the night time sleep adjustment a little less of a headache.
- Bring extra clothes for yourself and the baby on the flight… Asher threw up on me on the flight and I thankfully had another shirt I could put on.
- Bring Lysol Wipes on the plane and wipe down all the seats and arm rests before you sit down. This sounds OCD but planes have so many germs and the last thing you want is a sick cranky baby on day 1 of your vacation. This is gross but when we wiped the seats down the lysol wipe was BLACK that just shows you how dirty planes can be.
- Try not to stress. Babies can feel your energy so if you’re stressed they will pick that up and become stressed themselves. I had a wonderful flight attendant who brought me a glass of wine on our flight when Asher started to get a little fussy 🙂
We have a few different play mats for Asher and so far they have all come in handy at one point or another! My top favorites are below! The Fisher Price Ocean play mat he found way more entertaining between 3-5 months and now that he’s working on sitting up and tummy time more often the Lovevery Play Gym one is now is new favorite!
We just bought this jumper for Asher at 6 month old and I think it’s going to be our new favorite outdoor toy! I say outdoors because it is big so make sure you have the space for it if you plan on using it indoors.
Baby Bath Seat
When Asher was first born we started out using the Boon infant bath tub which was perfect for us because we have a very small bathroom and you could fold it and hang it up on the back of the door. Now that he is 6 months old and sitting up he LOVES this Summer Infant Bathseat and its so safe! It doesn’t move around and will fit any size bath tub. There are suctions on the bottoms and all three sides.